CHOICES operates the Foster Care Program with the philosophy that youth benefit from being in a least restrictive, safe, structured environment that stimulates and supports positive change and meets their physical, emotional and educational needs. CHOICES uses a best practice approach that is informed by the most current research to guide behavioral change through a multi-disciplinary team. CHOICES uses a team approach to provide the best possible outcomes for youth.
Supporting Ohio’s Youth Population
CHOICES foster care program supports youth from birth to 21 years of age. We’ve helped children of all cultural, racial and ethnic backgrounds since we were founded in 1986 by Anita Johnson Patten and Gina Frazier. We also support children of all social and developmental ranges.
There has never been a better time for individuals and couples to consider becoming a licensed foster parent. The overall need for safe, loving homes has never been greater in the state of Ohio. Our mission is to bring change to youth and families by providing personalized services and building safe environments. We need your help to assist children in our communities reach their permanency goals of reunification, adoption and emancipation.
The youth served by CHOICES prove to be resilient, determined, strong-spirited and independent thinkers. Through the support of our industry specialists and foster parents, we aim to help children adjust to difficult circumstances, to overcome loss, process trauma and learn new coping strategies that enable them to be successful.
We receive referrals every day from various County Children Services Agencies across the state to place children within our licensed homes. Our team’s main goal is to make the best placement matches to meet the needs of the children and our foster parents throughout the Greater Dayton and Cincinnati areas.
The Ohio counties we license foster families within include the following:
- Butler County
- Champaign County
- Clark County
- Clermont County
- Darke County
- Greene Country
- Hamilton County
- Miami County
- Montgomery County
- Preble County
- Warren County
What Makes Us Unique?
CHOICES programming allows us wrap the youth in available services and opportunity from the time they are placed and many times as they move on from foster care. As you learn more about our programs, you will learn that when applicable we can continue serving the youth upon reunification or as they work towards emancipation.
You will get to know our entire team as we support and encourage you throughout the process of becoming part of the CHOICES family. Not only will we work to meet the goals of the youth’s case plan, we will also connect you with valuable resources and services such as CHOICES in-home mental health services.
We pride ourselves on being able to successfully identify certain characteristics, behaviors and overall needs of each child to guarantee a successful placement. This means we’ll keep the following matching process factors in mind when deciphering reasonable “fits” between kids and foster parents:
- A foster parent’s specific strengths, skills, abilities and attitudes that will work well with any particular child.
- The foster parent’s preferences of age, gender, ethnicity, race, culture and religion.
- The foster home’s geographical location and overall proximity to the child’s existing family and services.
- Resource access and availability that’s needed to meet the child’s needs.
- Existing family composition, including foster youth living in the home.
Every person at CHOICES is honored to work within our field because we understand the importance of guiding and supporting our foster parents to make a difference in the lives of children and families throughout our communities. You can count on us to be there for you when you need our support. The following are some additional reasons to consider becoming a licensed foster parent with CHOICES:
- CHOICES has been successfully supporting children and foster families throughout Ohio since 1986.
- Our in-depth training program helps prepare foster parents for success and our comprehensive matching process is dedicated to connecting foster families with the right child.
- We have developed a supportive community for all of our foster families because we understand the importance of being connected to a network of experienced families with shared experiences. We organize family-friendly group activities for our foster families such as Kings Island, movie nights, holiday parties and a lot more!
Hear From Our Foster Families:
Ongoing Training in-person (Cincinnati)- PURPLE
Ongoing Training in-person (Dayton)- PINK
Ongoing Training ONLINE- LIGHT BLUE
Pre-Service Training ONLINE- ORANGE
Pre-Service Training in-person (Cincinnati)- DARK BLUE
Pre-Service Training in-person (Dayton)- GREEN